Smart Speakers offer a lot of useful and fun features. By implementing Sensirion's environmental sensors, your device will learn about your ambience and not only help improving your well-being but potentially also reduce energy costs. We have written a tutorial to show you how to set-up an Amazon Alexa smart speaker based on a Raspberry Pi 3 that you can ask for the current indoor air quality as well as ambient temperature and humidity.
Advantages of Using Environmental Sensors for Smart Speakers
- Get more versatility of your smart speaker and increase its functionality without the need for companion devices
- Personal data of your surroundings
- Get information from the device you're actually talking to
- Take actions on your environment
- Help the device understand your preferences
- Save energy, increase your comfort
Smart Speaker - Set-Up
- Triggering Alexa will record an audio file (speech recording) and pass it to the Alexa cloud
- Processing the speech recording will call the according Alexa skill on AWS Lambda
- In the meantime, the device constantly uploads sensor values to AWS IOT cloud
- The Alexa skill will read the right sensor value from AWS IOT cloud, generate an audio response with the read value and send it to the device
- Set-up with Raspberry Pi, Sensirion's Environmental Sensing Shield, microphones and a speaker
Get a feel for the air quality Alexa feature using a Raspberry Pi and Sensirion's Environmental Sensing Shield. With our set-up example project you can get an insight in the fundamentals of smart speaker systems. Try it, build your own smart speaker, implement your own skills and explore environmental sensing provided by Sensirion.
Visit our Getting Started Tutorial - Alexa with indoor Air Quality and learn how to enable your own smart speaker with an indoor air quality as well as ambient temperature and humidity features. For further information, please contact us.